While spring has many perks, like more hours of daylight and warmer weather, this season can be a nightmare if you have eye allergies. Pollen exposure can cause your eyes to burn, itch, water, swell or become red.
In this post, your family eye care specialist, Vision Care Plus, shares some tips on how you can protect your eyes from allergens.
1. Minimize allergen exposure by keeping your windows closed and wearing wraparound sunglasses if you’re heading outdoors. Avoid going outdoors during mid-morning and early evening when the pollen count is at its peak.
2. Clean your home. Use wet cloths to wipe your furniture to prevent dust and pollen from spreading. In addition, keeping your grass cut low and bushes and hedges trimmed helps reduce airborne allergens in your home.
3. Wear eyeglasses instead of contact lenses during allergy season. Allergens can accumulate on the surface of your contacts. Visit your optometrist to make sure that you are wearing appropriate glasses that can protect your eyes from allergens.
4. Rubbing your eyes will only make your allergies worse as doing so releases more histamines. Use eye drops recommended by your doctor to treat the itch.
5. Shower before going to bed and gently cleanse your eyelids to get rid of any pollen. This will help you sleep more comfortably.
6. Invest in an air purifier and allergen-trapping filter for your heating or cooling system.
7. Talk to eye care experts. Visit your local eye doctor in Alberta before the allergy season to learn more about how to cope with your allergies and for recommended treatments.
Choose a trusted provider of vision therapy services like Vision Care Plus. Call us at (780) 986-8441 or complete our online form to learn more about our services. We help patients with their eye care needs in Leduc, AB.